Thank you for visiting Jeff Smith for Evanston!
(right:) Side 1 of mailing to over 15,000 Evanston households. Click pic to see full. Click here for Side 2.
The Feb. 28 election is over. National and state politics continue to challenge us, and frighten many. The times, and the tides we may face, will continue to require strong local leadership with a deep knowledge of the community, a track record of service, and proven experience at problem-solving. I regret that I will not have the opportunity to serve as your mayor of Evanston to help preserve what we cherish while building a better future. However, for a while, I will leave this site up as an archive of ideas for that.
This campaign began with 8 initial points:
- Keep Evanston Affordable for younger and low/middle/fixed-income residents
- Protect the Lakefront from piecemeal privatization and environmental threat
- Pursue Deep Green planning for carbon-neutrality and true sustainability
- Preserve Evanston's Unique Character by more thoughtful development
- Promote Real Diversity through proactive marketing and honest discussion
- Invest in Arts and Humanities for their own sake and as economic strategy
- Improve Traffic and Parking with a makeover to undo years of political decisionmaking
- Foster a Culture of Peace from the international level to Evanston's own streets
The Issues tab on this site added additional substance.
I thank each and every person who took a yard sign, knocked on doors for a block, helped inform my knowledge of issues, or just gave an encouraging word. I hope you will stay in touch and retain faith in the power of ideas, the value of facts, and the belief that even one person -- you -- can make a difference.
NewsMonday, February 27, 2017 6:00 PM
Jeff for Evanston YouTube!
Jeff Smith for Evanston haz YouTube channel. No, we're not sure how either. But it haz videoz. Two anyway.
Monday, February 27, 2017 1:16 PM
As correctly reported on patch.com, we've disabled or hidden the Donate features of this website and removed a money pitch from our final e-mails. We are grateful to all those who have contributed, but in these final 40 hours we want the focus on ideas. Those wanting to contribute: please e-mail 10 Evanston friends and ask them to do the same!
Monday, February 27, 2017 7:29 AM
Evanston attorney and community leader Jeff Smith, candidate for mayor of Evanston, has deleted the campaign contribution and donation features from his election eve e-mails and has disabled the Contribution button on the front page of the campaign website.
Saturday, February 25, 2017 9:42 PM
The Daily Northwestern has put some clips from the mayoral forum online.
Saturday, February 25, 2017 8:29 AM
Media coverage of the Evanston mayor race has picked up, with lots of new coverage of Jeff Smith. Click to see more.